For this all you will need is:
15×15 plain cotton material background
15×15 lace or fine mesh co-ordinated to the background
Cut offs and little pieces of pretty fabric
Sewing machine with free hand machining foot
And a long elasticated headband.
Cut and sew technique:
Taking your background fabric lay it out on a flat surface and spread over it all the little pieces of fabric. When you are happy with how it looks place the mesh or lace on top.
You can pin it in place to put it onto the embroidery hoop but that is not a necessity.
Once in the embroidery hoop place under the sewing machine and free machine hand embroider over the top in any wiggly pattern or style that suits you.
Take the embroidery hoop off the fabric. I suggest folding it first to see how it will look.
You can either take the four corners into the middle underneath the newly created pattern, or trim it into a circle first. Sew through the middle to keep it into place, then you can cut into the circle at intervals to make petal like shapes. Then sew the button into the middle of the side you have chosen to be the top, at the same time attaching it to the headband elastic ready to wear.
What do yours look like? I’m going to start selling them also on etsy what do you think?
Apparently dream catchers are hipster. I think not, I mean your tattoo is lovely right? But it’s an indie thing. Am I wrong?
Anyway the point of this is my friend and I were talking and she thought they were dead hard to make, thing is she was totally wrong. I made one (yes a small one with no complex designs) but I did make one in about 15-20mins. Impressive? Not really I’m sure there are a lot of people who could put me to shame.
But seriously, if you want to try its basically tying a series of knots round a circle and voila, perfection in a hoop.
I used an old plastic bracelet with some ribbon wrapped around it to make it pretty. And then just started experimenting knotting with a brown embroidery thread I had going spare.
This picture from google shows you basically what I mean and trust me its a dream to make. Sorry couldn’t help myself.
If the drawing is not making any sense there are hundreds of pictures and websites, step by step blogs and even step by steps on YouTube. If you would like a step by step let me know, I’d be happy to do one if required. I am going to try a more complex design soon, maybe I’ll post that.
This ones my first, undecorated but still pleasing to look at I think.
On days like today work really does get in the way of all the things I’d rather be doing. For instance I have to be here, trouble is its a nice day so there are no customers. Yet here I am.
Rationed free time is annoying, think of all the time you’ve had spare twiddling your fingers when really you could’ve been making the dress you always wanted.
Like seriously I want to make my dresses….
So that’s the first thing on my list:
1. Hippy van dress- this is the most exciting thing in the world for me. I have a big thing about hippy vans. I need one. Now. Neeeeed. For the dress however the fabric is just gorgeous and has little vans printed on it (you shall see when I post that project) I just need time, but it will be a 6 or 9 panel dress I haven’t made up my mind yet…
2. Green dress- I need to find the fabric first. It’s look is still formulating in my mind. But it’s gonna be great and casual, which we like.
3. Baby blue & lace dress- this is something I found yesterday on Pinterest. Man I love Pinterest. It caught my eye so much it has made the list instantly. I want one, now. pinterest.com/the sewing beacon
These little guys, there’s ten or twelve I forget, but I don’t know what I want to use them for but I know I want to use them. They’re pretty.
5. Lace facing top- I seriously just am in a making mood, this though makes me happy. It’s like a normal tank i guess but its got a lacy chest (not indecent chill).
6. Leather/denim jacket combo- I saw a picture on we<3it (fab site for time wasteing by the way) very good like Pinterest for teenagers I guess. Anyway I saw it and instantly my mind was whirring away, so I'd like to have a play. When I get the time.
7. Shorts- I want to make two pairs. Or try to, I've never tried making any. Lace/denim shorts- again Pinterest inspired. Floral shorts- I need to find the right fabric first but I know there's some out there…somewhere.
8. Tartan jeans- I want to find either a denim printed with a tartan design or like a stretchy legging style material, for some super hot, punk stylee, tight jeans. And why not?
9. Boots- I found a drawing of some Perisian boots from about 200ad Ish? I think. But they're just beautiful and I want to try and draft a pattern and make myself some because I can't cope without them my whole life. They just look so beautiful and comfy too:3!
10. Fabric pens- I want to try out my new Dylan fabric pens.. They're gonna be ace!
Do you ever get those moments in life when you are completely itching to make something but just don’t have the time? Or you’re not sure what to do first? Or you just don’t have enough motivation just yet?
Well it gets me all the time. Like I find myself incredibly busy…always.
Even though I do find not having time to make all the pretty things in my head pretty frustrating but drawing relieves it a little bit. Even if they are not a true representation of what I actually want to make.
I find fashion illustration fun.
This is one of my favourites, I haven’t made a skirt like this or the boots but I’m interested in experimenting in shoes. It’s always something I wanted to do. And hopefully something I can start to do soon, when the money flow allows me to buy some prettys:’)
I really really love shoes. Some of these are historical however shoes are beautiful no matter how old right?!
This drawing is something I’ve never really wanted to make, sometimes the drawings are just simply to look pretty. Excuse me for the quality it looks very edited because I had to darken it because of how light the pencil looked in the picture, same goes for most of the drawings on here. Bummer.
A few years back I discovered henna and to date really I have been interested in it. the cultural values and meanings fasinate me.I think it is a lovely way to make yourself and others beautiful. Because of this I started to design my own.
I apologise for the quality again but I wanted you to be able to see it.
Just an example of what I was drawing. What do you think?